Friday, November 16, 2012

Working On My Food Storage

We have become much more acclimated to our surroundings.  I figured it was time to learn some new skills and work harder on adding to food storage.  It's deer hunting season.  We have 15+ of our 40 acres that is forested, with ample wildlife.  Dan is excited to bring home some serious meat.  I need to learn how to can it.

I was very fortunate to have found a "treasure" in our garage, left by the Wallaces.  I found an old pressure canner of decent size and great brand.  It is a Presto No. 7, 21 qt, manufactured in 1951.  It's older than my mom, ha ha.  I was able to easily order the parts necessary to get it going again (new sealing ring, automatic air vent, and weighted pressure gauge).  It sure beats paying $80+ for a flimsy one!  I think I will be able to experiment very soon.  :)

I should also be learning how to skin and process a deer.  I know you are all jealous!  I figured I needed to learn such things.  I am willing to try.  As long as my hubby removes the entrails when I am out of sight, I will help with the rest.  I am NOT that brave!  Yuck!

I have been wanting a wheat grinder SO BADLY.  I hope that we have the finances to purchase one soon.  I will likely order an electric model and purchase a hand grinder later.  I need something that will work for wheat, beans, rice, and chia seeds.  Maybe I should get this one...


I had mentioned previously about Bro. Allan.  He and his wife are excellent resources on food storage.  He had given a fireside last month on the subject and had mentioned 2 items to include in any food storage plan.  Chia Seeds and Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE).  Ever heard of either?  I had not. 


Chia Seeds:
Americans are lacking Omega-3 in our diets.  We have a host of medical issues related to this deficiency:  Cancer, Arthritis, Obesity, Heart disease, Arteriosclerosis, and Diabetes... to name the worst.  Chia seeds are the richest plant based source of Omega-3.  Period.  A 1/4 cup of the seeds equals nearly a pound of salmon.  And it is considerably cheaper than salmon.  And easier to store.

They also benefit us because:
  • 15 times more magnesium than broccoli
  • 6 times more calcium than whole milk
  • 3 times more iron than spinach
  • The omega-3:omega-6 balance is ideal for human consumption.
  • It also contains other very useful minerals: zinc, manganese, phosphorous, potassium, calcium, copper, and boron, which aids calcium assimilation. All of these minerals are also useful for good body chemistry. 
For more information:
http://www.allanstime.com/Health/Chia_seed.htm
http://www.mychiaseeds.com/Articles/Top10ChiaBenefits.html

My experience with Chia Seeds:
I purchased some earlier this week.  I have been taking the recommended 2 T a day.  I feel better.  I have more energy, think I lost a bit of weight (I hate weighing myself...), and am very "regular".  I definitely am much more hydrated, because you must drink alot of water to take them.

I will note that soaking the seeds in water before consuming is probably healthiest, but... blech!  The seeds absorb water at a nearly 9:1 ratio.  That means they resemble fish eggs in both appearance and texture.  And they are so gelatinous that it is much like drinking jello with seeds.  That is only if you flavor it, by adding juice of a drink mix.  But the taste is fine.  It hardly tastes at all. 

I have a dear friend that was merciful and ground some seeds for me.  It is much easier to just put some on any food you would normally eat.  It looks like you just added a very generous amount of pepper.  But it does not affect taste at all.  Much easier to stomach it in this fashion, in my opinion.  Make sure to drink lots of water!
Grapefruit Seed Extract:
It is amazing as a natural antibiotic.  The Allans served a mission in West Africa.  GSE was extremely effective when used for malaria, which is rampant there.  It would sometimes fully cure or at least minimize the effects.  It would make a wonderful addition to any food storage program.  it stores well and may very well be a life saver if medicine was scarce.

To read about the Allan's experience with GSE:
More information:
http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/benefits-of/grapefruit-seed-extract

My experience with GSE:
I purchased a bottle of GSE vitamins and have been taking them for nearly a week.  I have had this small infection on my foot that started from a splinter that was impossible to remove.  I still have an infection, but it is lessening each day.  I attribute it directly to the GSE.  I have also been giving some to my dog. She has an eye that is red and slightly swollen.  It looks better, but not completely.  The Allans were using a higher dosage with their experiences.

Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment